Whilst overseas, the youth live with one or more families associated with Lions International to experience first-hand a new culture, lifestyle and customs. Unlike some exchange programs, the Lions Youth Exchange Program does not involve tourism, academic studies or employment.
The aim of the program is to create and foster a spirit of understanding among the peoples of the world.
The Lions Youth Exchange Program caters for both inbound and outbound youth exchanges.
Incoming International youth from Europe, North America, New Zealand, South America, Scandinavia, UK, Malaysia, Indonesia and Japan, arriving in Australia in July-August and December-January. As well as living with one or more Australian families, many visiting exchangees attend an Australian Youth Camp, which provides an opportunity to meet young people from other countries in a fun, camp environment.
Outgoing Australian youth travel overseas in December – January to live with families associated with Lions International in various countries. Lions chaperones are provided at stopovers in London and Los Angeles, and on the return flights to Australia.
To be eligible to participate in this program, Outgoing Australian Youth need to:
- fund the cost of their Youth Exchange travel ranging from $A1,500 – $A6,000 depending on destination;
- be interviewed by a Lions, Lioness or Leo Club located near the youth’s home town to determine their suitability for the program;
- be ready to represent their community, country and their sponsoring Lions club as a youth ambassador and give verbal presentations on Australia, it’s culture and their sponsoring Lions Club in Australia;
- be willing to explore and accept the customs of the host culture and host families;
- have a basic knowledge of the language of the host country, if necessary; and
- accept that the Lions Youth Exchange Program is a culture exchange and not another form of tourism.
For more information on the Lions Youth Exchange program:
- Talk to your local Lions Club (Click here for Contact Details);
- Visit Lions Australia - Youth Exchange section of their website;
- Visit Lions Clubs International Youth Camp and Exchange Program page; or
- Contact the District's Youth Exchange Chairperson: