YOUNG LEADERS IN SERVICE
Links - This Page
Young people who volunteer become adults who serve. Through the Lions Young Leaders in Service Awards, your Lions Club encourages youth in the philosophy and habit of service to the community.
The Lions Young Leaders in Service Awards recognize young people (suggested ages 12-18) for their community service within a 12 month period:
- 50 Hours of community service = Silver Seal Award
- 100 Hours of community service = Gold Seal Award
Recipients will receive a Silver or Gold Award certificate and a congratulatory letter from the District Governor.
Getting Started - Club should decide to offer the Young Leadership in Service awards program to local young people and assign a Lions Club member to coordinate the program.
The program guide is available for download (see Downloads).
Should Clubs require assistance please contact the District's oung Leaders in Service Chair (see Contact Details)
Lions Opportunities for Youth
The Lions Young Leaders in Service Awards program is part of the Lions Opportunities for Youth initiative. The goal of Lions Opportunities for Youth is:
|To provide the young people of the world with opportunities for achievement, learning, contribution and service, individually and collectively, through sponsorship of activities identified as best practices in the field of youth development.|
Benefits for Lions Clubs
The awards fulfill two important Lions commitments:
- To improve the civic, cultural, social and moral welfare of the community, as summarized in the Lions motto, “We Serve”.
- To help young people become responsible adult citizens and community leaders.
Through the Young Leaders in Service Awards program, your Lions Club can address it’s goals, motivate young people to serve the community and provide benefits for youth and the Lions Club.
Benefits for Youth
The Lions Young Leaders in Service Awards benefit youth by:
- Encouraging their involvement in community service, which leads to personal fulfillment and the development of skills that are important to success.
- Providing recognition from an international association that can be listed on award, college or job applications.
- Increasing their awareness of Lions Clubs International and the opportunities it offers for service-minded youth and adults.
The Lions Young Leaders in Service Awards benefit the sponsoring Lions Club by:
- Building relationships with service-oriented schools, youth groups and individual young people.
- Promoting the Lions “We Serve” philosophy.
- Enhancing existing club scholarship and youth awards.
- Expanding the club’s public relations opportunities through awards-related publicity.
- Introducing young people to future service and leadership opportunities.
For more information on Young Leaders in Service contact the District's Young Leaders in Service Chairperson: